Updated: July 7, 2023
More expats than ever before are setting their sights on Portugal, and with good reason. From the sublime climate, high quality of life, and diverse locations to settle down, the country has lots to offer. Plus, with a booming real estate market, foreign investors have chosen to invest in this Western European gem. However, particularly if you are unfamiliar with the buying process in Portugal and do not speak Portuguese, it can be difficult to find the perfect property. In this article, Property Finder Portugal: An Overview, we’ll provide you with an overview of how to do it.
How to Discover Property in Portugal
The first step to buying property in any country is research, and in Portugal, this is no different. You will need to have an idea of what type of property you are looking to buy (apartment, house, villa, etc.) and which part of the country you want to consider buying.
It is also never too early to think about how you are going to finance your property – how much are you willing to pay? You should set a budget before you get too far into the property search.
Portugal has a fragmented property market, and while you can still find properties based on your requirements, there is no single place to find all the available channels. Plus, search engines and real estate websites, such as Idealista, often provide incomplete information.
Main Real Estate Areas in Portugal
Working with experienced real estate professionals, such as a buyer’s agent, can be a godsend to ensure the property buying process runs as smoothly as possible and that you secure your ideal property at the best price possible. Make sure that they have an excellent understanding of the local market and the different areas that you should consider buying in.
Each buyer will be after something slightly different, so discussing which part of Portugal is right for you with an experienced professional is certainly a good idea – the local knowledge of a property finder in Portugal can be invaluable.
Some of the main real estate hubs in Portugal are the following:
- Porto and the North
- The Algarve
- The Silver Coast
- The South West of Portugal
- The Islands: Madeira and the Azores
Why Work With a Buyer’s Agent
Working with a buyer’s agent is a smart choice if you are looking to buy a home in Portugal. A buyer’s agent will provide a tailored service for the buyer and will assist the buyer throughout the process, from sourcing the perfect property through to acquisition. They will also have access to properties and new listings not found elsewhere. They will have an extensive selection of potential homes for sale.
While real estate agents work on behalf of the seller and will receive a higher commission for a higher sale, a buyer’s agent works solely on behalf of the buyer, ensuring that your interests are met and that you can secure the best property at the best price.
Key Considerations to Find a Property in Portugal
There are some essentials that you should be aware of when buying property in Portugal, including:
- Don’t go in blind: Make sure you take time to study the real estate market in Portugal so that you know what to expect
- Consider a mortgage: Determine how you will finance the buy as soon as possible.
- Get professional assistance: Working with a buyer’s agent can save you time and money and ensure a hassle-free buying experience.
Why work with Goldcrest?
Goldcrest is a local buyer’s agent based in Lisbon that provides insightful real estate expertise and strategic advice. From sourcing to property acquisition, we offer a tailor-made service for our clients, assisting them in identifying outstanding investment opportunities in some of Portugal’s finest locations, from relocation to investment projects.
- Local knowledge: With offices located across Portugal, our presence nationwide allows us to assist you personally across the country.
- Independent service: As an independent buying agent, we do not represent any development or project. Our service is entirely tailored toward each individual client, providing you with everything you need to secure the right Portugal property at the best possible price. As an impartial advisor on the market, we work solely on behalf of our client and provide a service tailored to your needs and requirements.
- Streamlined process: Our real estate agents speak English and Portuguese, and our service is completely focused on providing you with a hassle-free buying experience, saving you time.
- Experienced team: Our expert real estate team has a vast local knowledge of the Portuguese property market. We have cutting-edge technology and metasearch tools at your disposal to provide full market coverage, ensuring the best real estate investment choices and negotiated prices.
- Network of partners: Lawyers, property management services, builders, architects, designers, and landscape gardeners, again saving you time and hassle by providing you with trusted experts in their field of work.
Goldcrest is one of Portugal’s leading buyer’s agents and property finders. With many years of experience in the market, we have helped clients from across the world with their property search to find their dream property in Portugal, whether to retire, move with family, or buy as a property investment.
You can read more here: Why Work With Goldcrest to Buy Property in Portugal?
- Buy a House in Portugal with a Buyer’s Agent
- 3 Key Essentials to Buying a Property in Portugal
- Portugal Investment Property: Is it Worth It?
- Portugal Real Estate: Everything You Should Know Before You Buy
- An Expert Guide to Buying Lisbon Real Estate
- Types of Property Ownership in Portugal
- How to Find a Top Real Estate Agent
Frequently Asked Questions about a Property Finder in Portugal:
What is the Property Finder in Portugal?
A property finder in Portugal can assist you in finding the perfect property. Goldcrest, a buyer’s agent in Portugal, has access to properties that you will not find elsewhere on the market and new listings so that you will have a complete overview of available properties. Property prices will vary depending on where you want to buy and your budget. A buyer’s agent can assist with providing accurate information and help you plan accordingly.
What is the finder's fee in Portugal?
The finder’s fee refers to the commission paid to an intermediary or finder who facilitates a business transaction or introduces parties who eventually engage in a transaction. The finder’s fee is typically a percentage of the total transaction value and is negotiated between the parties involved.
Is it difficult to find property in Portugal?
Portugal has a fragmented property market, and there is no single place to find all the available channels. Plus, search engines and property websites, such as Idealista, often provide incomplete information. It is, therefore, a good idea to work with a buyer’s agent who can ensure that you have a complete overview of the market, help you understand property values in Portugal, and provide recommendations on properties matching your requirements.
Can foreigners buy property in Portugal?
Yes, foreigners will face no restrictions when buying property in Portugal. If you want to remain in the country, you will, however, need to ensure that you have a valid residency permit. There are many visa options on the table, such as the Portugal Golden Visa and D7 Visa. Note that the Golden Visa may be coming to an end so if you are interested in applying, you should lodge your application now.
What are the most popular areas to buy property in Portugal?
Portugal has a rich history with many desirable areas to find your dream home. Some of the most popular areas to buy property in Portugal are Lisbon, Porto, the Algarve, and, increasingly, the South West of Portugal.